The Citizen's Academy offers residents firsthand insights into New Haven's structure, services, and community engagement. This interactive series, featuring presentations and information sharing, equips participants to serve as valuable resources in the community. Graduates often contribute to boards, commissions, or even the City Council.
The Citizens' Academy is open to open to any New Haven resident who has an interest in local city government and how that knowledge can help to improve the City for all residents and visitors.
With no cost to the public, we encourage pre-registration is required for this informative series, fostering effective community leadership.
About the Program
Citizens' Academy is a 6-week program which will give you an informative and interactive loo behind the scenes of the New Haven local government. Through lectures, demonstrations, and hands-on learning, participants discover the "real" world of city government and how the staff of the City carries out the mission, "To make New Haven the best place to live, work, and play", on a daily basis.
Completion of the Program
Attendance at all sessions is a prerequisite for graduation, ensuring participants fulfill the Academy's mission to enhance awareness of local government and its services within the New Haven community.
Those who successfully complete the Academy will receive a graduation certificate and recognition from the Mayor and other city officials. Graduates are then encouraged to extend their community impact by engaging as city volunteers.
Classes take place at the New Haven Community Center, 7500 IN-930 East, Fort Wayne, IN 46803.
When applications open back up, the application will be available on this page. There are multiple ways you can apply:
- Pick-up an application at the New Haven City Hall building (815 Lincoln Highway East, New Haven, IN 46774) upstairs at the Mayor's office
- Request an application by calling the Mayor's office at 260.748.7070.
- Send an email to the Mayor's Executive Assistant, Deb-Anne Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fill out the form online on this page when made available.
- Download the form, fill it out, and deliver it to the Mayor's Office at the New Haven City Hall building (815 Lincoln Highway East, New Haven, IN 46774).
Class size is limited. Applications are accepted in the order in which they are received.
For more information, contact the Mayor's Executive Assistant, Deb-Anne Smith at 260.748.7070.