Home-Based Businesses

Many people work from home or operate small businesses from their home.

In most cases, whether you live in a single-family house, duplex, townhouse, condominium, or apartment; we advise that you refer to the City Ordinance. You can always contact our City Planner if you have questions about special licenses, permits, or inspections required from the City for most home-based businesses. For home-based businesses that deal in the preparation and sale of food products, Indiana's House Enrolled Act 1149 - passed in 2022 - also applies.

Be sure to check with your Homeowner's Association Condominium Association, or rental landlord to see if there are any other regulations that might limit you home-based business operations.

Regulated Home-Based Businesses

The City of New Haven has regulated home-based businesses for many years with the intention to minimize noise, activity, and other business disruptions to the surrounding neighborhood. Typically, home-based businesses include but are not limited to:

  • Home Enterprise
  • Home Improvement Store
  • Home Workshop

Limitations of Home-Based Businesses

Typical home-based businesses are considered an accessory to the residential function provided that the limitations are maintained as laid out in the New Haven Unified Development Ordinance.

If your home-based business is unable to comply with these provisions, you will need to operate your business from an appropriate commercial or industrial location.

Residents who are physically unable to be employed full-time outside of the home may need to pursue temporary conditional use or zoning variance if unable to comply with the provisions in the listed ordinance below.

As always, if you have questions or do not understand the regulations presented, please contact the City Planner, Nathan Hooley, to gain clarification.

See Regulations

The full regulations for home-based businesses are in Section 157.506 of the New Haven Development Ordinance.